of the GMAA Rules
on the Remuneration
of the Arbitral Tribunal
[In case of doubt, the German version prevails.]
§ 1 Remuneration of Arbitrators and reimbursement of costs
- Each arbitrator shall receive a fee for his services in accordance with § 3 hereof.
- When an order to take evidence is issued in the course of the arbitral proceedings, each arbitrator shall receive an additional non-recurring fee amounting to 50% of the fee under § 3 hereof.
- Necessary expenses and the value added tax incurred shall be reimbursed to the arbitrators together with the payment of the fees according to subparas 1 and 2 above.
- An arbitrator who was only appointed but has not become active is not entitled to a fee. Should the arbitral proceedings be terminated prior to the first hearing, the arbitral tribunal is entitled to reduce the fees according to its reasonable discretion.
§ 2 Value of the Matter in Dispute
- The arbitral tribunal shall assess the value of the matter in dispute in accordance with the principles laid down in the Gerichtskostengesetz (Court Fees Act).
- The minimum value of the matter in dispute amounts to EUR 10,000.00.
- The maximum value of the matter in dispute amounts to EUR 50,000,000.00.
§ 3 Fees (VAT excluded)
1. Table of value in dispute
|Value in dispute up to||1 Fee Unit|
|EUR 10,000.00||EUR 1,500.00|
|EUR 13,000.00||EUR 1,600.00|
|EUR 16,000.00||EUR 1,700.00|
|EUR 19,000.00||EUR 1,800.00|
|EUR 22,000.00||EUR 1,900.00|
|EUR 25,000.00||EUR 2,000.00|
|EUR 30,000.00||EUR 2,200.00|
|EUR 35,000.00||EUR 2,400.00|
|EUR 40,000.00||EUR 2,600.00|
|EUR 45,000.00||EUR 2,800.00|
|EUR 50,000.00||EUR 3,000.00|
|EUR 65,000.00||EUR 3,200.00|
|EUR 80,000.00||EUR 3,400.00|
|EUR 95,000.00||EUR 3,700.00|
|EUR 110,000.00||EUR 4,000.00|
|EUR 125,000.00||EUR 4,300.00|
|EUR 140,000.00||EUR 4,600.00|
|EUR 155,000.00||EUR 4,900.00|
|EUR 170,000.00||EUR 5,200.00|
|EUR 185,000.00||EUR 5,600.00|
|EUR 200,000.00||EUR 6,500.00|
|EUR 230,000.00||EUR 6,800.00|
|EUR 260,000.00||EUR 7,500.00|
|EUR 290,000.00||EUR 8,200.00|
|EUR 320,000.00||EUR 9,000.00|
|EUR 350,000.00||EUR 9,500.00|
|EUR 380,000.00||EUR 10,000.00|
|EUR 410,000.00||EUR 10,600.00|
|EUR 440,000.00||EUR 11,300.00|
|EUR 470,000.00||EUR 12,000.00|
|EUR 500,000.00||EUR 12,500.00|
2. In cases where the value in dispute exceeds EUR 500,000. the arbitrator fees shall be increased by EUR 300 for each commenced EUR 50,000 beyond EUR 500,000 and up to an amount in dispute of EUR 5,000,000 and thereafter by EUR 200 for each additional commenced EUR 50,000.
3. The amounts in dispute shall be rounded up.
4. If more than two parties participate in the proceedings, the arbitrators' fees increase by 20% for each additional party, as far as the object of the tribunal's activity ("Gegenstand der schiedsrichterlichen Tätigkeit") is the same, however, not beyond 50%.
5. The fee pursuant to no. 1 - 4 are increased by 30% for a third arbitrator acting as chair in a tribunal of three and for a sole arbitrator.
[Version as from 13 January 2017]
The GMAA Remuneration Rules applicable until 12 Jan 2017 can be seen here.